As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Let's Rock n Roll!!!

Savannah Style!
I know I skipped the whole training updating part... but you know you want the race report the most anyway! So without further ado~
Hands down the best race experience I have ever had. I loved, loved, loved every minute of it. I wish I could tell you why, but after much soul searching...I just dont know! Was this marathon so much better because I had experience on my side this time? Was it all location, location, location? Was it family waiting at the finish line? Maybe all of those, and maybe, none of it!
Whatever it was, it has me all psyched up to do another!
Miles 1-16, honestly- I dont even remember anything but the cheerleaders! All those wonderful souls from the "rougher" areas of Savannah coming on out to cheer us on. Something about hearing, "Mornin' dahlins!" from a big black lady all bundled up at 8 in the morning just for us...sigh.. I miss the south! Mile 8 was back downtown on Liberty- much bigger crowds and lots of hootin' and hollerin'! Apparently my sister saw me here and chased me for 2 blocks, but crowd had me going!! She said I was weaving in and out and just kept speeding up and up, lol! She collapsed on the corner wondering How in the He** Someone Does this for 26 miles?!?!
Mile 11/12 was a mimosa party :) Too bad they werent passing them out! Shortly after, the herd is seperated... the rest from the best :)
At mile 17 I knew I needed to text my locale to my family. But dang! I just didnt want to stop! I am still in awe of just how AWESOME I felt! This mile marker is also where one of my uncles waited for a looonnnggg time for me to pass by! First time I have ever had someone meet me mid-course, took lots of effort not to cry :)
Finally at mile 18 I sent out one quick text, 18 doing good!
Mile 20- girls in front were celebrating and dancing! Heck yeah- 20 miles down, WE GOT THIS!
Then mile 21...the parkway of doom, dah dah daaaahhhh! Back on the Truman Parkway which was incline-y (I hesitate to call them hills) and a 20mph wind tunnel :( This vast passage with no crowds/support lasted for a full 3 miles! I remember passing mile 24 and thinking, Gosh- there is only 2 miles left in this damn race- when are we gonna get off this thing and get back downtown?!!!?
But alas, we did get off shortly after 24, straight into downtown-ish and back to some crowds and OUT of that life-sucking wind. By now I know that my kick-ass PR is gone but my goal PR is still attainable. I. Must. Rally. and bring this thing home. I send out one last text at mile 25: 25, give me 10 minutes!
I fully remember rounding the corner on Drayton. I am scanning the crowds because I know my mom, aunt, niece and sisters are waiting for me. I see Aunt Janet!!! I see my Mom!! It is on now!! Pace gets picked up and I am bringing this biotch HOME at a 7 m/m !!!!!! I cross the finish in 4:30:09 and am ready for the world!!!!
My goal is met, my mind and body are happy. I have done what I set out to do. I am not tired, I am not sore, heck- my hamstrings are hardly tight. I shouldve run faster! LOL That is OK, next time I will. NEXT time, I will finish in 4:15! Watch me, Savannah, just watch me!

No comments:

Post a Comment