As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recognize


So, Spring marathon training has commenced:) 10 miles last week, 12 this week. Nothing too hard yet, as long as the weather cooperates!
Today's run coincided with Run for Sherry. I would be lying if I said she, and her family, weren't heavy on my mind for many of the mikes I ran today. Perhaps, thar is where today's mantra stemmed from: Recognize.
One word, three little syllables- yet it means so much. Recognize. How often do we stop to recognize what we have; what we can do; who is in our lives; how we affect people; our surroundings, and how easily and instantly all things we "know" can change. Recognize.
Here are just a few things I recognized today in the 2:07 it took me to run 12.3 miles:
1. The sun, you don't see it much this time of year. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was beautiful and warm on my back.
2. Clear roads and almost clear sidewalks- something else you don't see much in Minnesota winters.
3. Progress- this is my second time training for Fargo. The difference between this year and last is amazing, simply amazing!
4. Effort- (linked to #3) I had to recognize, many times, how easy it was to maintain a 9:40 pace, even when dbl digits came around and I was tired.
5. Luck- for lack of a better word- how lucky I am to be able to do this. To run, to maintain, to race... To return home time after time to a loving and supportive family.
6. Sherry. Recognize that we aren't all lucky. Bad things do happen and lives/families/dreams are shattered every day.
7. My home. Albeit not always my favorite place, the air is clean, roads are safe and it's beautiful to look at.
8. Haha- recognize that I Got This:) I have rocked another training run, despite below freezing temps and tired legs. I.have.got.this.
Recognize something in your life today.
For me- now- even though I am tired and pretty much done for tonight, I can't wait for Saturdays 14 miler to see what I can recognize again:)


My thoughts and prayers go out to Sherry's family, as well as one simple yet impossible wish: peace. I pray you all find peace in the tragic untimely death of a wonderful wife/mom/friend and runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment