As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

20 Miles!

I still cant believe I actually made it. On one hand, there is something to say for determination, but on the other hand- I was sure tired! I sat and rested about 10 minutes at mile 10 when I dropped off my friends. I was pretty sure I was just going to head home and call it quits at 14... Then I made up my mind I was just going to keep moving for 3.5 hours (that is the time I wanted to finish this run.) At mile 11, the hip pain spread to the knee :( Damn- thats it, gotta call it quits now. By mile 12, my hips had limited mobility and I was just seriously achy! Here is where disappointment was really settling in... if I am in pain while walking, then I am done for! Then, I dont know why- but I started to change my gait. I wanted to walk faster- running was still out. I started doing the old 90's powerwalk method. If you arent familiar, it is really small quick steps while really swinging the hips. (Yeah, I was well aware of how crazy I must have looked!) At first, this killed the hips, but I think each little sashay was like a little stretch to the old ITB :) Once I worked in the arm swing- I was moving a long at a 12mm. Knowing that some people run at this pace was a big load off my shoulders. Suddenly I just knew I was going to be OK- even if I had to powerwalk for miles! As I mentioned earlier, this gait really worked out the hips and now running was an option. I decided to do song intervals. And when I ran- I ran! No jogging along, run intervals were at 8mm or better, then back to the powerwalk. I was relieved at mile 15, only 5 to go! Then another loop and I was up to 18! I had this, I was going to finish 20 miles!! Then at 18.5 my family drove by- all the kids hanging out the windows yelling for me, man- I didnt even know how bad I needed that :) They were heading to (yuck) McD's and I told them I would meet them there. Ran some more, speedwalked a little, then finished the last mile strong! This ending was a mix of sheer determination and sweet relief! And when that Garmin beeped, and I looked down and saw 20.00- big fat tears sprang from my eyes. OMG- I did it! I did it, I did it- and no, I dont want to do it again just yet, lol! So now, the question that ends all long runs: Could I have gone farther? Given this speedwalking method (which I really wished I had used earlier!) I think... (drumrolllllll) yes, I could have! Pretty sure 22, maybe 23 would have been ok. Now, I am ready to tackle another long run. (well, not now) but next week. No fear my friends, no fear- just rest! Details: I took 4 GU Chomps (YUM!) and mile 6, then I took another 4 at mile 11. Mile 15 (I think) I took a GU. I think nutrition was right on par; but did forget the advil this morning, as well as the Aspercream on the knees :( Will try to remember it next week for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment