As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Monday, April 18, 2011

The Light... 22 miles


You dont have to be dieing to know of the light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to be a distance runner! Lately (because of the ITBS) every run is started not knowing if it will be completed. I have learned to adjust my mindset accordingly and just go as far as I can... However, there is a point in every run when you know if your goal is going to be met. Today my light shined between mile 17 and 18. I knew this run was mine, and that it was as good as done. Tunnel Vision= less than a mile ahead lay my trusty, tried and true 5K route, then a mile home... Ahhh, the feeling of impending success- it is wonderful. And for several minutes- you feel light as air and invincable. Alas, that feeling wanes when exhaustion sets in. For a few moments you can recall that joy and spread it around, but then its gone again. By mile 20 I am just putting one foot in front of the other... I believe my mantra was, "just keep moving, just keep moving, time to run again, keep running..." There was an odd combo of feelings going on at the tail end of this run. First there was the fear of pain. By mile 20 I am run/walking to songs. You know, run this song-walk the next one- run again, etc... Oddly, at the beginning of every run interval I just knew I was going to hurt. I was genuinely scared to take that first step! But after 2-3 steps I realized that not only did I not hurt, running took less effort than the fast pace walk! Second, was the extreme contrasts between physical and mental states. While running,yes- my body was tired, but I had to admit to myself that I was comfortable. My pace was easy and I was not struggling. This was counteracted by my mind that was even more exhausted than my legs. Constantly telling me, "Oh, you can stop soon and walk, cant wait to walk..." even though my legs and lungs were holding their own! It just solidifys in my head that attitude is over half the battle! I can NOT let my head get the better of me! Maybe when running this distance alone, you cant help but get a little too much into your own head. I keep telling myself that company of thousands (although not necessarily speaking to me) will help me keep my chin up. And lines of people cheering us on will keep my legs moving. ANd the wonderful time called tapering will leave my legs feeling a bit more rejuvenated than the endless ladder or mile climbing that is known as training... However, for the next 4 weeks- my head is all I have. And I know I need to work on it just as much as any other physical aspect of this voyage! Deets: Able to maintain a slower steadier pace with NO pain, not even a twinge :) However, walk breaks did occur- and of course got more routine as the run went along. I would REALLY like to work on that. Again- the head- hard to overcome- then the more I stress on keeping running the harder the effort feels... its like once the idea is in my head, you know?? Nutrition at 5.5 (3 blox), 11 (Gu chomps), 16 (Gu dbl cafffiene) and 20) Gu chomps). Tummy really revolted almost immediately after the run ended (couldve been AF symptoms - it was day 1 of her visit) So, the question that ends all runs: Could I have gone farther (drumroll, please....) YES! It wouldve been slow, and I wouldve been really disappointed with the time, but I feel I could have finished the 26 today if I had to :) Hip Hip Hooray!!‎22 miles, I am almost too tired to type! Sing it with me ya'll: SHORT run, LONG run, TaaaaPeeeRR! Has a ring to it doesnt it?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment