As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

What Makes A Great Run?

Hmmmm, let me think about that! Is it good company? a fast time? beautiful scenery? silence? an argument played out in your head? a perfect songlist? I could go on... so many variables come into play to make a good run. I can be trudging along, wishing the run was just done but then remind myself of how gorgeous it is outside and just try to enjoy the nature around me. Or I could be relieved that I am rounding the final corner when a song comes on that I just love to listen to and get lost in... pass my endmark- or call it quits and turn it off? Or is it simply a matter of time? You know, when you havent had the chance to run for a few days- when you do, it is awesome! Maybe time off from running is what makes running so great... absence makes the heart grow fonder? As many things as there are that make a good run- there are just as many that can ruin it if you let it. Yesterday I wore the wrong socks for my long run. What is the big deal with socks, you ask? Well, the were way too thin. Every grain of sand was a pebble just jabbing me in the foot. They were slippery allowing my foot to slide around in my shoe (hello bruised toes!) and they slid down the back letting my shoe rub a bleeding spot on my heel :( Now, ignore the fact that a blood stain on my shoe feels pretty bad ass- those socks alone could have made me call it quits...) Then there is the weather- here it gets mega cold. And when you are trying to have a good run but your toes feel like they are gonna fall off, your face just hurts from the windchill and the cold just seeps into your bones. Your only motivation to finish is the hot tub of water you can sink into when youre done! Of course it goes the other way too! Heat, it can kill the best of intentions. I for one love feeling sweat dripping off my elbows and down my knees but no doubt that heat can suck the life/energy and fun right out of a run! Then there is the mental game. Often times when I am thinking a run is hard- I do a physical check: shoulders down and relaxed? legs feeling good? lungs doing alright? If all of these are answere with yes- then I have to work hard to get my head out of the game, or into it- whichever one comes easier! Why is it that your mental stage plays such a big factor in a run? After all, building up speed and/or endurance is a skill right? And when a skill is practiced and honed 100's of times, you should be able to get through with little to no mental thought at all. Why doesnt it become an instinct? Sheer physical ability? I don't know the answer to this. For me, mentality will always play a part of running, for the good or the bad. So, back to the question: what makes a good run? Whatever it is for you, hold onto it. Use the motivation from it. Keep it dear and special, because if it goes away your left with nothing. My elements of a great run: 1. music- love it, gotta have it. I have everyone on my playlist from Elvis to LimpBizkit to Shakira! 2. sunshine- seems like you go for months here without it, I drink it up when I get the chance! 3. solitude- with 4 young kids, sometimes the only thing that keeps me running is knowing that more miles mean a longer break from home :) 4. badass-ness- you know, when someone you know drives by while youre in the middle of an impressive sprint... or your husband tells you how tough and awesome you are to brave the storm... or your friends are griping about losing the winter bulge and you are READY for a bathingsuit NOW!!

1 comment:

  1. great post! I agree have to have the music like you said I can be just about done and then boom a good song comes on and all the sudden there is that little extra burst of energy!

    ReplyDelete