As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Starting Up

Here is what I figure: I may never run a marathon again. After my first that is! SO, I think its a great idea to chronolize (ummmm... write down) the efforts it takes to get to the start line.
My name is Terry. I am a mom of four beautiful children and 1 tiny dog. My husband is, quite frankly, my best friend and soul mate. (*not sole-mate, as I havent gotten him hooked on the running bug just yet!) But, before you go and start thinking my life is perfect- I suppose some honesty is in order...
1. I believe I am a depression sufferer. I am leaning more towards hormonal reasons as my moods do have spikes and lulls. Nontheless, its there and I struggle with it. No doubt as you follow my journey to 26.2 glory- you will notice the highs and lows.
2. I am a yeller. Yep, perfect mom image shattered!! If only my friends could be flys on my wall (not really, bugs-yuck-that is for another number!) My kids know all to well what its like to live with a crazy mama. I joke that I save money for therapy, not college.
3. OCD- its not diagnosed, its not detrimental to my day to day living. /But, it is a force to be recknoned with. My house/life has to be in order before I can function. Seriously, dishes must be done before ANYthing can be cooked and the floor is vaccuumed before school every day. Many runs are pushed off so I can get the beds made and I swear, (for better or for worse) my kids know "the look" that tells them to get up and start cleaning! I admit- when there is more than one mess going on at a time, it ain't pretty!
4. Lastly- somewhere in the last 5 years or so, I have become a glass-half-empty person. I have made this my New Years Goal this year- see the positives in the world! So, feel free to tell me if I am failing in that endeavor...
With all that being said, lets move on to the reason behind this blog! I am several weeks into training for my first marathon. I WILL be running the Fargo Scheels Marathon on May 21, 2001 (UffDa!) Although about 13,000 people will be running- only @ 1200 actually run the full distance. I will be one of them:)
I will be one of them.
I will be one of them.
Ooops, sorry. Mantras coming out at random!
There are many reasons to run a marathon. I'm sure some are really good reasons. My reason, oh I don't know, just to see if I can- I guess. No really, I want the bragging rights. I want the T shirt, I want the incredulous "you really ran 26 miles??" questioning from friends, family and perfect strangers. I want to be the BAD ASS that ran 26.2 miles for the fun of it! HOOO WAH!!
My husband is convinced I will eventually set my sights on an Ironman. I am positive I won't. However, I will say this now, (because after my first 20 mile run I might never say it again!) I do want to pick a destination and run a marathon every year. How awesome would that be?? 50 states, 50 marathons?? Oooh, I like that! I better do 2 a year, lol!
So- onto the training sessions...

No comments:

Post a Comment