As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Last Long Run

I completed my last long run of training! I feel so relieved, grateful and proud to be where I am!! My original plan was to run 24 miles; that was updated to anything over 20. The weekend was calling for CRAPPY weather, but Friday was promising to be beautiful! I actually paid daycare for the 2 little boys so I could enjoy some warm sunshine :)
And man, was it beautiful! Mid 60's, totally sunny and just a great day. A bit windy, but not enough to complain about. I even wore a tank top!! (I was too nervous to run without my compression pants, or else I totally couldve rocked some shorts!)
I had no fear or trepidation about this run :) Even the sheer # of miles didnt daunt me. I just kept thinking of the runs in sections: Shorewood Drive first, downtown, lake- then back again... Seemed easy enough.
I ran the first 5 with no stops. Mentally- it wasnt even bothering me. At mile 6 I had my first bloks. Then I ran about 2 miles or so before taking regular walk breaks. I ate every 4 miles afterwards. No section of the run was less than a mile unless there was a hill- which I would walk; that was in the plan!
This time around- I didnt have the fear of pain when I began to run again. I did have to remind myself that running was actually easier than walking after about mile 13 or so :) My wonderful husband left a bottle of water on the flagpole at his office for me... so nice- my waterbelt was empty! And then I had to refill it again on the last 2 mile stretch! Despite the water intake, I was developing a bad headache:( And the salt on me! Holy moly- I looked chalky!
In the end though, the best part was that I didnt need to resort to the, "walk a song, run a song," trick. I felt strong enough to just keep going. I just KNOW that running with 1000's of others will help me stay even stronger!
I made it 21.25 miles. I would have been happy to keep going but alas, the bus with my other 2 kids was coming... I had to do the mom thing, you know!
SO- I feel ready. I feel confident! I am still trying to get times out of my head; just focus on a good effort and a fun day... I am so excited!!
Even after the past 16 weeks, I am still laughing that next weeks run of "just 12" is going to be easy! That just seems crazy!
But, arent all marathoners a bit crazy?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment