As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Saturday, August 13, 2011

12 miles...on a whim

My ITB really acted up Wednesday. I mean, .25 mile in and I knew I was doomed. Kinda came out of nowhere but the pAin was all too familiar. These stabs signaled the death of my Savannah marathon :( You know, I was pretty apathetic towards this race until I was told I couldnt do it!
So, in all too familiar fashion, I continued with the cross training and stretched and rolled and rolled. Come Friday I am just too eager to test out my knees. Unfortunately, I had all the kids and no way to swing a 12 mile run. But then, the sun went behind some clouds and a nice breeze picked up. And I start thinking... Hubs will be home soon and I might, just might- be able to swing this! Still tons to do with garage sale prep, but waiting till Sunday to see if I am going to register for this marathon just seemed impossible!
As soon as I mention the posibilty of running to my husband he all but pushes me out the door so I can be back home before dark. I geared up with water bottles and bloks not knowing if I would even make it a mile... But- I did! I made it many miles :) I ran 6 out to the lake, walked for a minute to swallow blokes, then ran the 6 back home. Only two times did I feel my knees, 1) at the onset of running again after the break. For a moment I thought the trip back was gonna be pretty hairy... But then the discomfort disappeared! And 2) around mile 9 or 10, I can't say they hurt, but they werent feeling incredibly strong:( But, again, this passed and I finished the run strong.
So, with a goofy grin on my face, I went straight upstairs to the computer, downloaded my results to dailymile and then swiftly registered for the Savannah RockNRoll marathon. I figure, if I can decide last minute, unprepared, to run 12 miles- then I am good to train for a marathon, again!!
Long story short- I am running another marathon baby!!! This time I will train with slower runs and little to no walk breaks. Not gonna say legs aren't tired after long runs, but runs are going really smoothly! I am so excited about how the training is going so far. Hopefully, knock on wood, things continue to go as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment