As a mom of many, I know all about excuses... And if I havent used them all, I have probably at least heard them all. Excuses make my head hurt! We've all got 'em, we all use 'em- but we dont all let them define us! I squashed my excuses a few years back and took full responsibility for myself and my actions.
I am a strong mutha, serious about my health as well as the health of my family. I strive to set a good example and live by what I preach: Motion is lotion/garbage in, garbage out/you are your actions, not your words... I hope to help others learn ways to get in exercise and a healthy lifestyle without extremes or burnouts. Simple, eveyday tactics to Get The Job Done!!
And yes- usually WITH your kids!!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Vacation



The Mason family just wrapped up their first official family vacation! We all packed into the 'burb and drove 1000 miles to the Black Hills, SD. We had a great time, made some memories and just enjoyed ourselves. Of course, spent way too much money and ate some things we shouldnt have.... And although we packed bikes on a towed trailer, not once did we pull them out. The hills were so steep that I knew the kids would just get frustrated and hate it :( I, however, couldnt wake to tackle the hills on foot!
I gave myself 2 days before I set out for a hilly run. Hmmmm, hills may be the wrong word... Perhaps small mountains? My first attempt was only 2 miles and most of it was walking, er trudging up hill. Then it was so steep and loose that I couldnt run the downside! Argh, I think these hills tackled me!
A couple days later I anxiously tried again... I scouted out a road that looked a bit less mountainess and took off. The elevation difference made the first mile hard and the hills were still there- but then my body just fell in and went with it. Slower up and quicker down but enjoyable none the less. I decided to try the monster hill again from attempt #1 and see if it felt better; nope- still sucked!! LOL - upon checking the Garmin on my return, turns out it was a 2000 ft climb (at 6000ft elevation) and close to a 1000ft drop on the other side! No wonder I was sucking wind!!
Despite the dificulty and the wear and tear on my ITBand, I felt so awesome after each run! You know, tired and spent, but not quite wanting to stop... Funny, collectively my runs were only 5 miles but the difficulty of those 5 had me thinking of marathon training. Its hard, and at times it sucks- but isnt it so awesome when you are done??
Well, speaking of done, our vacation is. As is the lack of routine, diet skips and all the other goofs that led to a big flab bowl on my middle :( Glad to be back in my house, sleeping in my bed, sweating my batooty off to bodyrock in my garage and tomorrow- running around my flat town! Ahhhh, home sweet home!

No comments:

Post a Comment